14 December 2015

PERKS OF SELF LOVE





I remember the day I asked in  meditation for the experience of  unconditional love.  I had no idea how this simple request, which I admit, I thought would be a fluffy experience filled with sunshine, laughter, and constant happiness, would turn my life completely upside down. 

Imagine my surprise when I realized what I had considered love was rooted in attachment.  The need to have someone love me so I could love myself, led to me taking hostages, not walking in love with someone.

The process of expanding my consciousness to embrace unconditional love,   stripped away what I had perceived self love to be.  The first thing I realized was the love I have for myself must be unconditional before I would ever be able to offer that to someone else, as the way I love myself is the measure of my capacity to love another. Therefore, my request to love others this way, pulled the cover off of the way I loved myself.

I was determined to understand it and developed a few exercises to help me get there.  The one I love the most still makes me laugh out loud when I find myself doing it.  Love songs, whether break-up or falling-in-love songs, I had always fantasized about singing to a boyfriend, I would now sing to myself.  Since I was single at the time, I figured I would practice falling in love with myself. It worked, but on a level I had not anticipated.  It was a beautiful experience, to see myself that way.  It made me consider for the first time, if I met me, would I be excited about the prospect of dating this person.  Today, I can say, I would be totally stoked! 

To love unconditionally means if you love someone, you love them.  If he decides to walk with me or to leave, I still love him. Even  if he doesn't, for whatever reason, love me back, if I honestly love him, then I will always love him.  It means you have an awareness of the essence of your own being, which you love without reservation or judgement.  You have an understanding that loving someone isn't about the story or who goes where,  you just love with the enormity of your Spirit.  




Once I've experienced someone, touched their essence, it is impossible for me to ever not love them.   There will never be a time when this person will be without the protection, comfort or support of my love. 

Through this, I've come to know my love is a powerful force for which I have tremendous respect.  However, the most extraordinary thing I've received from this process is knowing  I will never be without unconditional love in my own life.  I discovered the love I was seeking was within me all the while.














































©2015 RMAPhotography ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment